The Biology curriculum in our school has a mission to provide a wide variety of interesting biology-related learning experiences that enable our students to develop scientific literacy, so that they can participate actively in our rapidly changing knowledge-based society, prepare for further studies or careers in the fields related to life science, and become lifelong learners in science and technology, creative thinkers, problem solvers and responsible global citizens that could contribute positively to our future society.
Biology is a rapidly advancing science incorporating a huge amount of information about the living world. In this curriculum, it is designed in a way that enables students to develop a broad, general understanding of biological principles and concepts that emphasize on application values of biological knowledge. In order to make the study of biology exciting and relevant, topics are introduced in real life contexts. The adoption of a wide range of learning and teaching strategies and assessment practices is intended to stimulate interest in and create motivation for learning among students with a range of abilities and aspirations.
To provide Biology-related learning experiences that enable students to:
- develop and maintain an interest in biology, a sense of wonder and curiosity about the living world, and a respect for all living things and the environment;
- construct and apply knowledge of biology, understand the nature of science in biology-related contexts, and appreciate the relationships between biological science and other disciplines;
- develop the ability to make scientific inquiries; think scientifically, critically and creatively; and solve biology-related problems individually and collaboratively;
- understand the language of science and communicate ideas and views on biology-related issues;
- be aware of the social, ethical, economic, environmental and technological implications of biology, and be able to make informed decisions and judgments on biology-related issues; and
- develop an attitude of responsible citizenship, and a commitment to promote personal and community health.